I was definitely feeling a little bit better about the whole thing by the time I got to the race. (Have I mentioned that I have not run 6.2 miles in a row since I was 15 years old?) But, it was still raining and there was no sign of it letting up so I could not use the ipod. BUMMER. I'm not used to running without music blasting in my ears! I met my friends Lisa and Jana there and they helped me out big time. Jana let me wear this shirt that is suppose to keep your body dry underneath my shirt that I was wearing. Lisa let me borrow a watch so I could keep track of my time. Thanks girls! Both of these thing really helped me. I ate a power bar 30 minutes before race time and stretched a little bit. I was as ready as I would ever be. The race started and the first mile was actually pretty tough. I was really cold and my body just didn't want to go. I finally warmed up a bit and really felt good right after the third mile. This was the point in which we turned around on the trail and headed back. I had a second wind. The trail was really nice to run on. It was right next to the river for a while and it went by some cows too. (Stinky!) I felt really good until I had about three quarters of a mile left to go. I was not about to walk though. I was too close to finishing. I thought I saw the finish line so I picked up the pace to bring it on home. Except for it wasn't the finish line and I had about another 200 yards to go. Doesn't sound far, but after six miles and running fast to finish, it was far. I made it though and was ELATED as they shouted out my time of 58 minutes 25 seconds! My goal was to do it in under an hour. There is just something so gratifying about finishing a race that pushes your body past what you think it's capable of. I was happy to be finished and proud of myself too. I went into the gym where everyone was gathered and got a drink of water and then decided to look at myself in the mirror. Ummm, embarrassing! It had rained on us the whole time and my mascara was evidence of this as it was smeared down my cheeks. Plus, my face was the same color as my red shirt. Oh well. I met back up with my friends and we had a good chat. They left and I stayed for the awards just in case. I really didn't think I had placed for my age group because there were a lot of women about my same age that had finished ahead of me. But I was curious. So I sat by myself and waited for the results. When they came to my category I crossed my fingers for third, but it wasn't me. Then I crossed them for second, but it wasn't me. I was disappointed because there was no way I got first. Or was there?????
I could not believe my eardrums when they called my name for first place! Eventhough I was by myself and no one was cheering for me, I could not wipe that smile off my face! I knew how proud Nate was going to be. He was going to come and cheer me on, but with the nasty weather, he just stayed at my Mom's with the kids. Anyway, they took my picture, EWWWWE, and I am going to keep checking to see if they post it. Here are the pics my Mom took when I got back to her house. I only got a ribbon, but that was good enough for me! Everyone at home was so excited for me, even if it was only for my age group.(24 to 29 years old) Nate took me out for a celebration dinner/lunch. What a good day!

5 comments:
YIPPEEEEE! If anyone could do it, I knew you could :) Way to go! Now on to a half marathon right.....
Ang...you rock! I had to check your blog and see if you posted! I knew you would, it's just too exciting not to share!
Just think how fast we'll be at the R2R this year with you so speedy and all!
Jana
I saw Jana at the YW Broadcast and she told me! I knew you could do it! She was talking about the relay race you guys are doing next. I told her I'd volunteer to join but it seems I wouldn't be much help (hehe) you guys are SO GREAT and have such willpower! I do admire you!
The only thing I have to say (after a HUGE Congratulations) is...you wore mascara to a race? I have no doubt that you were a beautiful runner.
Amy
I took the pictures of Lexi but copied the ideas of some from the Olan Mills photographer :) Lori asked me to take pictures of her boys so tomorrow I will have more fun pictures. I have never taken pictures of boys (not that they should be much different then girls but I am currently evaluating every little different thing between girls and boys :)!
Post a Comment